Discovering what you want to do next in your career is fun.
But, what do you after you zero in on your ideal career?
How exactly do get to where you want to go?
Getting to the next stage in your career is like taking a trip to a place you’ve never been.
You need a map or GPS.
To figure out exactly how to go for and get your dream job, you must first create your own “map.”
This means writing down ALLLL steps you can think of that will, ultimately, land you the position.
Sounds easy enough, but I often see my clients get stuck at this point.
The thought of writing down ALL the things that we think will get us our dream job can feel boring.
I mean…dreaming up our next career move?
Now that was fun.
So, naturally, we want more fun.
Not a task that feels like a grind.
But, when we actually make time to sit down and write down all the steps we can think of AT THIS MOMENT (because more will be revealed to us along the way), we discover the answer to the elusive question,
“How am I going to get that dream job?”
The best way I’ve found to tackle this less-than-exciting task is to first set an alarm on my phone or computer for 10 minutes and, during that time, write down all the steps I can think of that will get me what I’m aiming for.
After that, I reset the alarm for 5 minutes and determine start dates and/or due dates for each step.
After these two steps, viola! I have a plan!
It’s that simple.
It’s simple, but it’s not easy because A LOT of resistance will come up.
I like to say,
“You know you’re onto something good when resistance shows up!”
Once I have that plan, I add it to my calendar.
And, after everything is on my calendar, my original list gets deleted because then I SHOW. UP. AS. PLANNED.
You might be thinking, “But, wait, Jamie… doesn’t life ever get in the way? Like, doesn’t something unexpected ever pop up?”
Things happen that throw off my schedule.
But, that’s why I plan “catch up time.”
I create room for myself to get done what I said I would get done and, by doing so, I build trust with myself.
The more I show up when I planned to show up, the more confident I am in implementing the necessary steps to achieve my goals.
When this happens consistently, it feels magical. ✨✨
It feels like something’s “clicked.”
Like I’ve discovered some secret.
But, it’s not a secret.
In fact, below are the steps, laid out for you, so you can reference this post again or copy and paste it into your OneNote, Evernote, Google Keep – wherever you store your “goods:”
- Breakout a notebook or your favorite note-keeping app.
- Set a timer for 10 minutes.
- Ask yourself, “What is one step I can take toward getting my dream job?”
- Then ask, “What other steps come to mind?” Write everything down.
- Reset the timer for 5 minutes.
- Determine the first 3-5 steps and create start dates and/or deadlines for each.
- Open your paper or digital calendar and transfer the steps to it, allowing enough time to finish each task. Add deadlines to your calendar, too, if you wish.
- Now, throw away or delete your list.
- And, show up as planned and build your confidence!
- Last, feeeel the magic, that spark, that click…you’re on to something good and you’re making it happen!
Want help kicking off this process or taking it a step further? Set up a free meet ‘n greet and I’ll help you out.
Also, let me know in the comments if you tried this process or if you use a similar process. I’d love to hear your results!